Friday, April 23, 2010

like so very.........heather

This film was so awesome to me. I really enjoyed it overall. I loved the over the top material girl attitude and ridiculous lifestyle that they live. The movie as mentioned in class was definitely mean girls meets Jaw breaker. I really loved how it was done and how it kept you guessing as to how it was going to end up until the very last scene. I was literally on the edge of my seat when the bomb was ticking and had thoughts of how they were gonna stop or start the bomb in my head. I really wanted her just to run in the auditorium and like yell bomb or something or tell them to get out..but in the world that Veronica lives in nobody would most likely believe her or listen and many people would think that she was crazy. The psycho peace loving teacher probably would calm her down through nonsense talk and ask her how she felt about not killing herself or something annoying. I loved the character of J.D it was like we really, scary as it is got the taste of a crazy, troublesome teen that was in fact dangerous. We as much as we were scared of him and disgusted by the murders wanted him to somehow be justified as a hero similar to harry lime. I didn't see him as a hero though, he just was screwed up and needed some obvious help. Veronica was spineless and as much as she thought she was standing up to the enemy leader, heather and taking a stand of her own, she just falls in to the same trap by being J.D's bitch and doing what ever he says but in a much more tragic way, not embarrassing others but killing them.
In the reading it talks about all of the references that are made in this movie and others of it's time and how they are important to this type of film. To me the film was great with them but also could have been great with out them. The reading talks about the two main songs in the film. One que sera sera, what ever will be will be. I LOVED that song and how it opened and closed the film in to different tones. It was so perfect. I just thought it fit so well. The other song, teen suicide don't do it, just added to the satire of the whole thing and made the film a lot more ironic.
Off topics I really enjoyed watching J.D's finger being blown off my the gun it really was the cherry on top of post modernism, whether it meant it or not it took a gesture and took away the meaning.

3 comments:

  1. I also really enjoyed how incredibly campy the film was. This is my kind of stuff.

    There was definitely no distinctive character hero. If anything we were given anti-heroes, kind of like Kowalski in Vanishing Point. I think that JD was just entirely to too psychotic to even consider being a hero. You would think that someone like Heather Duke or Heather Chandler filled the role of villian, there is no doubt that it's JD from the beginning. I think that he had the right idea about high school as society, however his murderous intentions mucked up his plans. He clearly wasn't listening to the song that said "whatever will be will be. Veronica was kind of the anti-hero is the situation because for as pathetic and molded by others her character seemed to be, she came out trimuphant in the end by erasing JD from her life (quite literally).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or maybe JD is the only one who was listening to the words que sera, because he was the only one who realized how pointless it all was. He knew killing one heather would just mean another one would take over. He didnt care about making a difference, at least I dont really think so.
    He isnt a hero and Im not even sure he is an anti-hero, in this I just sort of see him as anti-everything else thats going on in the film. Definitely enjoyed his finger getting blown off though. Very appropriate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should I watch Jawbreaker? It seems like the kind of thing I'd like, because I love Heather and dark comedy. But it gets bad reviews, so....

    I really like this entry. It's sharp and punchy, and I really hear your voice in it. I'm curious though, why you think the teen suicide song was ironic, but "Que Sera Sera" wasn't, given the context. Maybe they both are? I'd have liked you to play with the concept of postmodernism a bit. Do you think the reference in the movie were significant, or empty? Do you think this was really a movie about teenagers, or a movie about teen movies?

    ReplyDelete